Here is some history behind our library, taken from Brookfield, Illustrated with Pen and Camera by Charles W. Eddy, Ware, Mass. 1886.
This building was dedicated for the use of the Merrick Public Library, by public exercises in the Town Hall, on the evening of January 31st, 1884. The fund of ten thousand dollars for the support of the Library was given by Hon. Pliny Merrick in the spring of 1867. The land on which the building stands was presented by Mrs. Nancy S. R. Felton and the sum of ten thousand dollars was given for the erection of this building by William A. Banister, and the work commenced early in the spring of 1883.
The building has a capacity of fifteen thousand volumes, with the provision of adding a gallery, when necessity demands, that will accommodate ten thousand volumes more. With a view to protection, an effort has been made to have the building fireproof; and as constructed-while an inside blaze might do some damage; it would be difficult for fire to materially injure the structure itself.